History

History

Built in 1881, St Andrews is a great example of Neo-Gothic style architecture

The centre aisle of St Andrews

 


125 years ago the first pastor of the church, John Vaughan, planted the church and established a thriving, Bible based church in the suburb of Summer Hill, Sydney.

The church building has three distinctive internal arches, and was designed by Alexander Leckie Elphinstone Junior. The foundation stone was laid in 1883, and the top of the spire completed in 1906. The fast construction period, unusual for that time, was indicative of the area's affluence.

More about the history soon.

Listen to a presentation from Australian Historian, Stuart Braga as he addresses the quarterly meeting of the Anglican Historical Society on the history of St Andrew's.

Download

Get Adobe Flash playerThis object requires Flash and Javascript installed and enabled